Wednesday 29 April 2015

Two choices: legislation redistributing wealth, or revolution distributing poverty

Two choices: legislation redistributing wealth, or revolution distributing poverty



April 28, 2015
Cancun, Mexico
One of my favorite historians is a guy named Will Durant.
Durant is unfortunately no longer with us, but he and his wife Ariel made history more interesting than all the soap operas my mother used to watch when I was a kid.
I thought about something he wrote this morning when I glanced at the paper and saw a headline about the riots in Baltimore.
In Durant’s seminal work on Louis the XIV, he wrote that “the men who can manage men manage the men who can manage only things, and the men who can manage money manage all.”
Now if the quote is confusing, just focus on the last eight words.
And Durant was right. There are people out there on one side, and they’re angry. They’re looting, they’re rioting.

No comments:

Post a Comment