Thursday 18 June 2015

HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS « The Burning Platform

HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS « The Burning Platform



On Monday morning I picked up my mother and took her to the closing of the sale of her home of 57 years. It was a bittersweet moment. I spent my childhood in that home. I lived there for 22 years. It isn’t much compared to today’s over-sized McMansion standards. It’s a 900 sq ft three bedroom, one bathroom, brick row home in the first ring of suburbs outside Philadelphia, built in 1957.
My truck driver dad and stay at home mom raised three kids in that house. They stayed about ten years too long. As the old guard has died or moved into retirement communities, the neighborhood has slowly begun to deteriorate. “Investors” have bought up some homes and turned them into Section 8 housing. The riff raff from Darby is moving in and the working middle class is moving out or dying out. Collingdale will be no better than West Philly within the next ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment