Monday 21 March 2016

Democracy Struggles To Recover From Betrayal - PaulCraigRoberts.org

Democracy Struggles To Recover From Betrayal


Paul Craig Roberts
First announcements. Then content.
In responses to my questions about the usefulness of the newsletter service that informs you of new postings to the website, a number of you confused the “newsletter” with the website and urged me to continue to write. The question is not whether or not I continue to write. That depends on your financial support of the website. The “newsletter,” perhaps a wrong choice of words by the person who designed the website, is merely a notice that new material has been posted. The “newsletter” is not the site. As the “newsletter” service is costly and is about to break into a higher cost because of the growing number of subscribers, what I had hoped to learn was how important the notices of new postings are to the one-third of you who actually open the notices.
Because a substantial percentage of respondants confused the “newsletter” with the content of the website, it remains unclear to me the value of the notice service.
Here is the deal: Those of you who subscribe to the notices of new postings but do not bother to open the notices, please unsubscribe. The opportunity to unsubscribe is available on every email notice you receive of new postings. Please do not send emails to me to unsubscribe you, as only you can unsubscribe yourself. Just as the website has no control over your credit card and cannot charge you for a donation, the website cannot unsubscribe you. Only you can do that.
If I find that the remaining subscribers to the notice service actually open the notices, I will continue the service. If I find that non-donors are imposing costs on the website for a non-used service, I will discontinue the “newsletter.” The website will still exist and you can access it by going to www.paulcraigroberts.org, which is what most readers do. Alternatively, you can set up a RSS feed to notify you of new postings.
This website has some very committed supporters. Some make automatic monthly donations so that there is revenue flow during the periods between my quarterly requests. Others donate generously depending on their circumstances in response to the quarterly requests for your support. Remember, I retired from my syndicated column, and it was readers’ requests that caused me to create this website and to continue to write.
I thank you for your commitment. It is what sustains the website and my commitment to all the work it takes to explain reality in contrast to the matrix of lies in which Western peoples live. My columns are re-posted by many websites and are translated into a large number of languages. This large readership is sustained by a relatively small number of donors.
It is like Margaret Mead said, “a small number of committed people can change the world.”
With much help from the failures of neoliberal economic policy and neoconservative foreign policy, we are changing the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment